Re: exec-shield (maybe ITP kernel-patch-exec-shield)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Peter Busser wrote:
> > You said yourself that it would be beneficial for you to have PaX in the
> > default Debian kernel source.  That seems to indicate a possibility for
> > mutual benefit.
>
> Yes. But I didn't get the impression so far that there are any Debian people
> who view it like a benefit. I am still hopeful that I will be proven wrong
> about this though.

I for one, do (especially since I have Russell's word that it would work
quite well along with SE Linux).  But I simply cannot dedicate the time it
takes to do it right now, so I didn't step forward.  I think there are many
in the same situation.  So, it looked like nobody was interested... why
increase the noise level if we DO know that in Debian you either step
forward and DO something (then fight to the teeth to get it adopted) or you
are just wasting your time...

> > If you want to cooperate with Debian developers then you have to find some
> > area of mutual interest.
>
> I think that I have already identified one area of mutual interest from the
> Adamantix point of view (see above). I think that mutual means that the effort
> comes from both sides. Therefore I am interested in hearing from you what this
> effort from Debian's side is going to be.

Probably we would slowly (emphasis on slowly) try to get it to be a default,
and as such, map just about everything that needs to be tagged so as not to
get broken by PaX, submit those stuff upstream, etc.

Adamantix might not earn much from it.  I really don't know. What I do know
is that it worked well for SE Linux.

It might happen with PaX too. Or not.  Someone has to take their time to
start it right, first.  Maybe I will be able to do it in 6 months or so.
Maybe someone else will step forward before that and upload a package.  Then
people will start using it, and the ball will get rolling.

  Henrique Holschuh