Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

At Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:01:39 -0500,
Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> I'm confused -- and don't read Japanese.  But let me get one thing
> straight: what Hitachi distributed were strictly bitmap fonts, right?
> No metafont, truetype, or postscript font outlines, just bitmaps?

Well, it's complicated issue.  It's no wonder some readers are
confused.

> Alternately, let me ask three simple questions:
>
> 1. Were the hitachi fonts bitmaps?

Yes.

> 2. Were the kochi fonts bitmaps?

No and Yes.

The original watanabe font is converted from bitmap to truetype, and
such converted font is remarkably similar to the original.

In addition, kochi font has both truetype and bitmap information.
Bitmap information is used as truetype hinting information for
displaying specific small font size (12,14,16dot) for CRT.

> 3. Are the watanabe fonts bitmaps?

No and Yes.

Original watanabe font is bitmap, but ttf-watanabe-* font is converted
to truetype as I described above.  Kochi used truetype version, but it
may use even bitmap information.

> If the answer to any one of those three questions is yes, Debian's fine
> distributing them.

So it can not distribute straightforwardly...

Regards,
-- gotom