Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:30:41 -0600,
Steve Langasek wrote:
> > At least in Japan, there is design right (if your don't know, try to
> > find in google).
>
> A design right is also a form of intellectual property, as that term
> ("intellectual property") is used in English.  Copyright is one form of
> intellectual property.

Ah, thanks for your explanation, actually I don't understand the term
in English word.

> > However, font right is hard problem.  Currently there is no definitive
> > law or right in Japan.  "copyright" or "design right" is closer than
> > intellectual property, but copyright is difficult to apply for fonts,
> > and fonts may not be registered under design right.  But font vendor
> > have appealed that fonts should be protected under appropriate law.
> > This complicated situation makes this issue more difficult.
>
> If their appeal is successful, and Japanese law is amended to grant the
> requested font rights, I would have no objections to honoring those
> rights in the future.  I do not agree that we should voluntarily respect
> such claims of font rights on fonts that were created *before* such a
> law was enacted.

You only cut off just the part of law issue.  Original font holder
(Hitachi) claimed not to leave its derived fonts alone.  Ttf-kochi
font author in woody decided not to use their original font.  Why
don't we follow their original author intension?  Even debian in woody
infringes their original author's intension.

Regards,
-- gotom