Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r2 (II)

At 20 Nov 2003 15:20:07 +0800,
David Palmer. wrote:
> There is more to contend with in this scenario than legality. There are
> distinct cultural protocol requirements as well, these are more
> important if Debian is to maintain face in Japan.
> If the package maintainers are agreeable, I would be honoured to act as
> intermediary and approach Hitachi and ask their permission to use the
> fonts, if the maintainers believe the fonts are worth incorporating into
> the programme.

Thanks your intention, but I must tell bad news.

1. Some people have already asked Hitachi about distributing Watanabe
   font. The answer is always "No". Watanabe-font is fully copy of
   Hitachi/Typebank product without any permission.
   Continue to distribute without any attention to users may cause
   serious trouble.
2. About Kochi font (in woody or older version), Hitachi answered "ask
   Kochi author". But Kochi author, Furukawa refused to contract with
   Hitachi/Typebank, and say "Don't never ask me. I stop to develop
   Kochi font. All of font right reserve Hitachi/Typebank."
   Currently Kochi font is maintained by efont-group
   (http://sourceforge.jp/projects/efont/), but their font is already
   resolved this issue by replacing problematic glyphs (this font is
   merged into sarge/sid.) They don't want to contract with
   Hitachi/Typebank.
   So, unfortunately, Old Kochi font (Woody or more older include) stands
   very unstable status.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto