Re: First pass all buildds before entering unstable

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> just an idea from a completely uneducated person regarding buildd:
>
>    What about if each freshly uploaded package which contains architecture any
>    packages would enter kind of a staging area first and buildds grab these
>    files from there.  After each buildd was able to build a package the whole
>    set with all architectures enters unstable at once.
>
> This would get us rid of all those packages in unstable with "Does not build
> on ..." and several dependencies could be easier solved.  Moreover it would
> enhance the preasure on developers to care for this kind of bugs.
>
> I guess this would be not really hard to implement.
>
> Just ignore me if this is a stupid idea

You are ignoring all the packages that don't build and never have been
build for some architecture. Mainly that happens if some
build-depends, like the compiler needed, wasn't yet ported.

All the packages that are excluded from an arch indirectly because
some other package is not for that arch would need to be changed to
specifically exclude that arch. And once the actualy faulty package
gets ported the change has to be reversed.

There is a reason testing script only require archs that did
previously build.

MfG
        Goswin