apt-get problems

Below are the errors I am getting from apt-get on some machines running recent
unstable.  Is this a known bug or have I screwed up something?

I've tried downgrading libc6 and a few other things but to no avail.

root@lyta:~# apt-get update
Get:1 http://ftp.monash.edu.au unstable/main Packages [2751kB]
Hit http://ftp.monash.edu.au unstable/main Release
Err http://ftp.monash.edu.au unstable/main Packages
  Waited, for gzip but it wasn't there
Fetched 2751kB in 1s (1906kB/s)
Failed to fetch http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/linux/debian/dists/unstable/main/
binary-i386/Packages.gz  Waited, for gzip but it wasn't there
Reading Package Lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.monash.edu.au unstable/main
Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/
ftp.monash.edu.au_pub_linux_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.