Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:35:53AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:23:24PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:00:40AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:

> > > PostgreSQL requires license changes, and I've not had much luck buiding
> > > impetus for this, nor even identified an exact change that would be
> > > needed.

> > As an aside, it should be possible to connect freeradius to a postgresql
> > server using the ODBC module, which is included in the packages (but not
> > as a separate binary package, the way the mysql and postgresql are --
> > Paul?)  This will obviously cause at least a slight performance hit, but
> > it may meet the needs of some users.  (We log to mysql here, so.)

> And excellent point, which I'll make sure to add to the Readme.
> I'm including the PostgreSQL example DB in the package's docs, so that
> should work all OK.

> I've been splitting out ODBC support locally since the very beginning,
> but everytime I mooted it, Wichert Akkerman (amongst others, but he was
> at the time gatekeeper to the debian/ dir in CVS, if you're wondering
> why I keep invoking him) disagreed on the grounds of archive bloat,
> since rlm_sql_iodbc only pulls in the one package (libiodbc2).

And rlm_sql_mysql only pulls in libmysqlclient10, and rlm_krb5 only
pulls in libkrb53. :)  These dependencies should be regarded with
parity.

> I also promised that I would address _that_ once it was in the archive.
> :-)

> My personal inclination is to micro-packages, but I _like_ installing
> packages. :-)

I'm personally rather indifferent on the question.  Embedded systems
developers and ftp masters are known to have stronger opinions.

> (I have a strange sense that my TODO list is starting to grow to match
> my available time... :-)

You'll have that...

--
Steve Langasek