Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:13:22AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:21:53PM -0500, Chad Miller wrote:
> > [cc debian-devel]

> > On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 05:07:41PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > >              [...]  Who withdrew [radiusd-freeradius] or caused it's
> > > withdrewal, then? Curious minds want to know, and also, it's a bit
> > > misty right now...
> (...)

> > A few months ago, the Sarge release coordinator swept all gravely-buggy-
> > older-than-3?-months packages from sid, including radiusd-freeradius.
> > Wichert immediately asked for the package to be added back, but someone
> > noted that freeradius, a GPL program, linked against libssl, so it
> > couldn't go back in.

> What is the current status of this issue? There are yet no
> radiusd-freeradius (or freeradius) packages either in sid or (even) in
> ftp://ftp.freeradius.org/pub/radius/. The issue on SSL linking (described
> in DWN [1]) doesn't look as it is has been fixed and the debian/ directory
> in the CVS has not seen any change for quite some time (+5 months)

> Anyone?

The SSL linkage was solved (simply for the moment) by leaving out
postgresql, SNMP agent support, EAP/TLS and x.99 token support, and
build-conflicting against libssl-dev.

I plan to go back and try and convert what I can to libgcrypt/libgnutls,
and upgrade to libsnmp5 support. (This last one is what keeps _me_
using a local build. :-(

PostgreSQL requires license changes, and I've not had much luck buiding
impetus for this, nor even identified an exact change that would be
needed.

As for the debian/ directory in CVS, it's not been touched in a while
since it's pretty much built cleanly and happily for that long. Once
Steve Langasek is satisfied with my package, I'll be pulling those
changes back into CVS. (As seen at http://www.tbble.com/freeradius/)

There's no packages on ftp.freeradius.org since (a) I don't have access
to update that site; and (b) it never occurred to me to put them
there or ask for such to be done. I've been gunning for archive
re-entry instead.

> [1] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/02/

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.