Re: radiusd-freeradius history and future

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:23:24PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:00:40AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
>
> > PostgreSQL requires license changes, and I've not had much luck buiding
> > impetus for this, nor even identified an exact change that would be
> > needed.
>
> As an aside, it should be possible to connect freeradius to a postgresql
> server using the ODBC module, which is included in the packages (but not
> as a separate binary package, the way the mysql and postgresql are --
> Paul?)  This will obviously cause at least a slight performance hit, but
> it may meet the needs of some users.  (We log to mysql here, so.)

And excellent point, which I'll make sure to add to the Readme.
I'm including the PostgreSQL example DB in the package's docs, so that
should work all OK.

I've been splitting out ODBC support locally since the very beginning,
but everytime I mooted it, Wichert Akkerman (amongst others, but he was
at the time gatekeeper to the debian/ dir in CVS, if you're wondering
why I keep invoking him) disagreed on the grounds of archive bloat,
since rlm_sql_iodbc only pulls in the one package (libiodbc2).

I also promised that I would address _that_ once it was in the archive.
:-)

My personal inclination is to micro-packages, but I _like_ installing
packages. :-)

(I have a strange sense that my TODO list is starting to grow to match
my available time... :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.