Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:54:29AM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>      <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html>
>
>         It is also possible to create GIFs using a patent-free run
>         length encoding but this doesn't achieve the compression that
>         one normally expects in a GIF.
>
> If not, why incitating people to get non-free stuff while you just can
> provide a Gimp that can save GIF without LZW?
RMS on the same page says:

     Therefore, we don't use GIF, and we hope you won't use it either.

and later:

     We decided not to use these pseudo-GIFs on our web site because they
     are not a satisfactory solution to the community's problem. They work,
     but they are very large. What the web needs is a patent-free compressed
     format, not large pseudo-GIFs.

So, what you need this fsckin' GIF for?

Cheers
	Artur