Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

On 06 Nov 2003 01:06:25 -0500, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> posted to
debian-devel:
 > Personally I'm of the opinion that stable is useless. It certainly
 > has no use for me. Perhaps if I ran a production server on debian I
 > might think otherwise but I rather doubt it. When I had production
 > servers they all ran 2.4 and needed the latest stable releases of
 > anything important like database, mail, web server services.
 > If I ran production servers on debian today I would probably pick
 > an arbitrary date off snapshot.debian.org and declare that my
 > "stable". If I had security problems I would pick a date recent
 > enough to have the security fixes, test it, and declare it
 > "stable".
 > It wouldn't be guaranteed to be bug-free, but then nothing is.
 > Stable has tons of minor bugs that no upstream maintainer would
 > listen to because they were fixed aeons ago anyways, or more likely
 > are no longer relevant in current sources.

Sounds more like a case of "stable plus backports of the important
pieces". Now if only somebody were telling me where to find "stable"
backports for Woody of the packages I need ... (Probably I'm too much
of a skeptic for not believing that a random hit in the search engine
at apt-get.org is what I should be using.)

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/
cat | more | cat<http://www.iki.fi/era/unix/award.html>http://www.debian.org/