Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:43:29PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 03-Nov-03, 14:21 (CST), Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > <insert usual rant on how useless stable is for desktop and how testing
> > is even worse than unstable>
>
> Oh, not this crap again. Or perhaps you're contending that I've not
> gotten anything done at work in the last two years using my "useless"
> Debian stable desktop.
>
> Hint: there's more to "useful" than running the latest version of
> everything. Particularly for a sys admin, who I'd expect to be heavily
> command line oriented, and who doesn't need the latest 3-d games or dvd
> player[1].

It would be helpful if Debian could even be installed on machines newer
than about 2 years old. Neither my KT400 based machine nor my i875P
based machine could be installed using the standard Debian
boot-floppies. I had to resort to using Knoppix with debootstrap.

So no Debian stable really is not an option for a large portion of
users. At least anyone who has a machine newer than when the kernel
on b-f was last updated in Woody's case is kernel 2.4.18 from
Feb 25 2002.

Chris Cheney