Re: What's the deal with NMUs? [was Re: Are you still there?]

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:42:14PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> I'm confused by the concept of NMU: can anybody just arbitrarily upload
> a new version of a package?  I have a feeling that are some controls but
> it seems pretty wild and wooly, and subject to abuse.

Any Debian Developer can, but not unnoticed.

> The whole openness of the bug tracking system and package system seems
> particularly vulnerable to persons with malicious and subversive intent.

How do you think the open process, which is the main feature of debian can
be exploited in that area?

> Has anybody ever "attacked" the Debian process?  Are there specific
> controls in place to prevent "attacks", or has it just never come up?

Indeed the large base of trusted developers is a problem and a feature at
the same time. But since we are able to pretty well track all modifications,
it is not such a big issue.

Greetings
Bernd
--