Re: A case study of a new user turned off debian

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> What started the chain of events was that a fairly routine minor bug bit the
> latest libc6 release. He's an experienced sysadmin though and wasn't the least

What (probably; I am guessing a bit) continued the chain of events:

- no prior experience at using Debian.
- using an unstable distribution for the first time.
- no prior experience at fixing broken Linux systems.
- need for a working system important due to new job; sense or urgency
  may have affected decisions made.
- overconfidence.

As well as the ones you mentioned:

- libc6 bug.
- Problems using the debian package management utilities.

In order to eliminate some of these links from this chain, I would have:

- Played around with installing Debian before going to the job.
- Only used stable distribution, at least for first few days of new job.
- Maybe even asked around find out potential problems that could occur
and what to do if if this happened at new job.

There are probably other things he could have done, thats all I can
think of right now.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>