Re: Source only uploads?

I demand that Branden Robinson may or may not have written...

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:18:56AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
[snip]
>> This will include the stuff i already commited to the upstream 4.3.0
>> bugfix branch, and doesn't in any way influence stuff not related to the
>> SDK (it is just a bunch of SDK related Imakefile fixes). The second part
>> is the needed modification to build a xfree86-driver-sdk package
>> containing a single tarball of the SDK to be unpacked wherever you want.

> Debian packages that just ship tarballs to be "unpacked wherever you want"
> seem pretty nasty to me.  If the best distribution format for something is
> a .tar.gz, then I don't see why we should ship it as a .deb instead.

I'm not sure about that. If the tarball is a bundle of resources (header
files etc.) then fair enough; however, for source tarballs (e.g. alsa-source)
I'll have to say that I disagree - being able to wipe the source tree and
re-unpack it without reinstalling the .deb is a Good Thing.

Although I suppose that such packages could use a script which removes
compile-time-generated files on package removal or replacement...

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| woody, sarge, | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

One person's <grin> is another's <groan>.