Re: Localized bug reporting?

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:50:08PM +0100, Magos?nyi ?rp?d (mag) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a known or planned way to report bugs in the Debian BTS in
> a non-english language?
>
> If not, here is a proposal:
> -create technical packages for each language for which there is a
> team which mediates with the developer.
> -modify reportbug to "detect" the language of the report. (detect=
>  there is a commandline switch or a question to determine the language.
>  The question is asked if the LC_MESSAGES category does not start with
>  "en_")
> -if there is a non-english language detected, the bug report is sent to
>  package <language> instead the real package.
> -the maintainers of the language package mediate the communication
> between the user and the package maintainer. It can be done either
> by a paralell bug issued against the package, or through translate-
> reassign-ask-reassign-translate-answer-translate-reassign cycles.

What about packages that already have a language extension? I think
you'd have to do something like this in the bug report:

Package: langmaint-<language>
RealPackage: <real package name>

I worry about languages becoming unmaintained though, but at the same
time, there's probably a lot of bug reports we aren't seeing because of
this problem already. Id feel better about it if the mailing list for a
certain language was the maintainer address for the psuedo package. If a
language doesn't have a mailing list, it probably doesn't warrant a
psuedo package for handling bugs.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/