Re: Source only uploads?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 05:52:07PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:30:12AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > | IMHO, it is very important that source only uploads are allowed
> > | in case:
> > |  a) developers are not running Sid
> > |  b) developers are not running up-to-date Sid
> >
> > You should run sid.
>
> Even if the only computers you have may be important machines, where
> uptime is very important in keeping stress levels at a minimum?

This is where it's been said to use pbuilder, which I thought was the
"best practice" way of building packages, in terms of consistency. I've
subsequently seen opinions to the contrary.

Unless I hear a compelling argument against it, I'll continue using a
pbuilder chroot that tracks unstable as the build environment for the
packages I maintain. My actual test environment will be a mixture of the
same pbuilder chroot and whatever my actual system(s) are running at the
time.

Andrew