Re: cpufreqd: different config file for kernel 2.4 and 2.6

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:24:50PM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> Hi Mattia!

> > > Hm, is it possible to provide one cpufreqd.conf-2.4 for 2.4.x Kernels
> > > and one cpufreqd-conf-2.6, which supports 2.6 Kernel Versions?
> >
> > yes, the problem is still to cover the variety of supported processor
> > speeds (this problem was missing in my first post).
> > Eg.: Speedstep has only 2 frequencies, Enhenced
> > Speedstep/Powernow/Centrino/etc. support more than 2.
> > So providing a default configuration is most of the times meaningless by
> > itself...
>
> Isn't it possible to generate a configuration file from info in
> /proc/cpuinfo and friends?

no, you can get cpu MHz in that particular moment but not the stepping
values accepted by Cpufreq drivers.
AFAIK, Cpufreq doesn't expose any interface to know those steps.

with 2.6 you can peek some /sys files to obtain minimum and maximum
frequencies allowed but there's no way to know intermediate values.

I'm now working to provide a very simple configuration file with 2 CPU
profiles:

[Profile]
name=hi_boost
minfreq=0
maxfreq=FULL
policy=performance

[Profile]
name=lo_boost
minfreq=0
maxfreq=FULL
policy=powersave

replacing FULL in postinst with:

# setup a very simple default configuration file
FULL=`cat /proc/cpuinfo | sed -n -e "s/cpu MHz.*: \([0-9]\+\)\.\([0-9]\+\)/\1\2/p"`; \
cat /etc/cpufreqd.conf | sed -e "s/FULL/$FULL/" > /etc/cpufreqd.conf

I'll also provide a couple of exhaustive examples and maybe I'll give a
fat warning through debconf

do you think it is enough? :)

thanks
--