Re: Source only uploads?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:30:24AM -0400, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:
> >I say that failing to function when built in anything but a particular
> >artificial environment is a serious bug in a source package.
>
> Currently, IMHO, failing to build on all architecture AT LEAST in an
> artificial environment is a far more important bug.  I think that if the
> package only built for a specific architecture on the machine of the
> developper is even worse!  At least, the artificial environment of
> pbuilder is reproductible.
>
> I understand your concern that a package must be able to built on
> any Debian environment as long as the architecture is support and the
> build-deps are respected, but I find that an additional request that
> the package be able to build in pbuilder add to the quality of the
> release.

At no point have I suggested that it should not have to build in an
artificial environment. What are you talking about?

> > Any action whose effect is to avoid noticing these bugs cannot be a
> > good idea.
>
> I don't see how the current process help you on this?  Any maintainer
> can be lazy, and upload half-compiled package.  There is many way to
> make a package where even the debian/rules file doesn't run.  If the
> package is a binary-all, it will not even be notice!

If the maintainer is an incompetent moron, sure. But we generally
assume maintainers don't do stupid things like this.

For binary-all packages, people do on occasion attempt to rebuild them
to trap this sort of problem. It hasn't yet been automated, but it
could be.

With the current process, most packages are built in a real-world
environment and then used in that environment by a significant number
of people, over a significant period of time. This gives us a better
than average chance of noticing any problems. It's not perfect, but
it's probably the best we're going to get.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |