Re: Source only uploads?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:08:27PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Sure, sure.
>
> Just give me one real world reason why it is not good to build in an
> artificial environment like you call it (either pbuilder or an
> autobuilder) and i will go away, as you say.

Yes, please do. I've been following this thread with interest, because I
have always found it inconsistent that usually $(DEBIAN_ARCHITECTURES) - 1
were built by the buildds, but the binary package the maintainer uploads
was built in a completely heterogenous environment to the rest.

I would have thought for the sake of consistency, it would be best if
binary packages for all $(DEBIAN_ARCHITECTURES) were built the same way.

For the same reason, I would have thought an unstable pbuilder chroot
would provide a higher degree of consistency for the one binary package
the maintainer uploads now, than to build the package in the significantly
more random environment of the developer's development machine? (Unless
he/she dedicates a machine to tracking unstable for no other purpose than
to build packages).

Forgive me, I am relatively new, so I may be missing the obvious...

Andrew