Re: Source only uploads?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:12:14PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:53:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Since experimental isn't autobuilt, I fail to see your point.
>
> Well, try to install the quark 3.21-1 package on your system for example
> then, and you will see what i mean.
>
> I have XFree86 4.3.0 installed on my system, and i guess many other DD
> have it or other experimental stuff installed, or self installed stuff,
> or some older version of a library, or who knows what else.
>
> When i uploaded quark 3.21-1, do you know what happened ? It brang with
> it a xlibs (> 4.3.0) dependency, which naturally was not fullfillable in
> sid or sarge. The packages was fine for all other architectures where it
> was autobuilt.

I have to say that you really should have noticed this. Before I sign
and upload a package, I always use debc to read the control fields and
debdiff to compare it with the previous version to make sure the changes
are what I expected them to be. debdiff will show you changes in control
fields in wdiff format, so changes in dependency versions are quite
obvious. Frankly, I expect this or the equivalent to be the bare minimum
any developer should do.

I know that people make mistakes, but noticing problems like this is
just part of due care and attention to testing, and if people are
failing to notice this kind of thing then I don't think that not being
required to build their packages at all will improve their testing
procedures.

Cheers,