Re: language-chooser: Language order shouldn't be alphabetical

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 12:56:29PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> I'm sure it'd be nice to educate users on every little bit of technology
> running their computer, but users simply shouldn't need to know what
> "en_US" means, and "English (United States)" makes a lot more sense.

Well, it is a long way until you do not need to know that, for operating
Linux. I mean hell, even windows uses "EN" and "DE" as the keyboard language
indicator or preferenced browser languages.

And I think it is good, that debian still leaves me the option to be a
knowledgeable computer user. For example picking a charset by id
(ISO8859-15, latin9) more comfortable than the Windows way of saying
"Charset used in western Europe". Please keep it that way.

Since Debian is not only for end users, but also for experienced users, this
list needs to include the locale names anyway.

There are so many places where you are confronted with nation and language
identifiers. I doubt you can ignore them. And even if they are not the same
(TLD, car-signs, language2, language 3, nationality) they are for sure
common knowledge (at least your own)

Greetings
Bernd
--