Re: testing packages at build

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:15:03PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:

| My first goal is to persuade developers that running tests is
| worthwhile. For the implentation I have mainly 3 questions:
|
| 1) Do porters and autobuilders admins want to be able to skip the tests ?

Surely skipping the tests on autobuilders would be a bad idea?  The
tests may pass on one architecture but not on another (e.g. gnucash in
sid), and being able to catch such problems sounds like a Good Thing.

| 3) Do we want to allow for autorecovery ? If gcc -O2 leads to a broken
| binary, why not set up debian/rules to automatically retry with gcc
| -O0 ?

This sounds like something that is best done with human intervention,
not by an automated process which could potentially break things further
when it screws around with compiler options.  Are gcc optimiser bugs
really that common?

Cameron.