Re: testing packages at build

On 09-Oct-03, 07:49 (CDT), Cameron Patrick <cameron@patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:15:03PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> | 3) Do we want to allow for autorecovery ? If gcc -O2 leads to a broken
> | binary, why not set up debian/rules to automatically retry with gcc
> | -O0 ?
>
> This sounds like something that is best done with human intervention,

Yes.

> Are gcc optimiser bugs really that common?

No. While they certainly do exist, >99% of the time, if code works at
-O0 but not at -O2, then the code is broken. (Of course, there are
specific optimization operations that require certain assumptions about
the code above and beyond "correct", but none of those are enable by a
simple -O2.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland