Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

also sprach Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> [2003.09.28.0012 +0200]:
> As I have said before, kernel-source's primary purpose is for
> building default Debian kernel images.  Thus it should contain all
> the patches necessary so that the images are uniform across
> architectures.

IPsec is not necessary.

> If someone wants to make a kernel-patch package out of it, go
> right ahead.

This is not responsible behaviour from a Debian maintainer, Herbert,
and you know it.

[...]
> This is simply unmaintainable due to the complex relationships between
> patches.

So you offload the work to others...

> In any case, the kernel-source package's README file should
> contain all the information you need to extract any particular
> patch that you're interested in.

We are not interested in a patch, we are interested in feature
backports being removed from kernel-source. Nowhere else does Debian
have feature backports, the entire security update system is
structured around the belief that this is *a bad thing*, and you are
just being a incredibly difficult and non-cooperative about it.

Are we going to need a formal vote to open your eyes?

`. `'`