Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> This thread has been going on for a while, and I think the general
> voice has been that security backports and other vital patches are
> totally alright for kernel-source. However, I think the general
> agreement is that feature backports are not okay. That's what
> kernel-patches are for.

> I would like to hear an official statement by Herbert on this. We
> should not let this thread extend to infinity, but come to
> conclusions and implement them in time for the Sarge release.

What I'd really like to hear is a reaction from Herbert to:
Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> in <[🔎] 20030921222634.GB964@aokiconsulting.com>
| Can your patch file to be more modular like X package?  It is a big
| chunk.

Which could make both sides happy. Instead of one big patch containing
bugfixes, security fixes and feature additions to make them separately
available in the kernel-source-package.
            cu andreas