Re: To what extent should Debian modify the kernel? (Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> OK, these are very minimal criteria, and I think that probably many of the
> kernel-patch packages in Debian would fit them.  Where would you draw the
> line?

Most of them fail the maintainence check.

Unless the patch is clearly going to be merged upstream, it is just too
unpredictable what the level of maintainence is going to be say in a year.

> I currently patch my kernels with device-mapper, a few evms-related patches
> and skas3.  It would be very convenient if device-mapper and the evms
> patches could be included in the the stock kernel; then users could use EVMS
> or LVM2 in stock kernel images.  This is especially useful in the installer
> kernels.

Is the device-mapper completely modularised? If it is, then I have
no problems with including it.

For the other patches, please send them to me along with reasons why
you think they should be included.

Cheers,