Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:07:18AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> Also there's the issue of whether we should try to have one kernel source
> tree that everything applies to.  I think that perhaps we should have
> options as to which tree things apply to.  So we can have kernel patches
> to apply against the kernel.org kernel, we can have patches to apply
> against Herbert's kernel (the "official" Debian kernel), and maybe we can
> include the Red Hat kernel in Debian and have patches against it too.

While I think it would be nice to have some of the third-party kernels
available in Debian, I think that in the case of kernel patch packages, this
creates more problems than it solves.  If there is no One True Kernel to
which patches should apply, then each maintainer may make a different
decision as to which kernel they support (probably the one that they use
themselves), and then a user's chances of being able to build a kernel which
includes all of the patches that he wants is drastically reduced (the
maintainer must choose to support his kernel in each case).

--
 - mdz