Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

Hi !

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 01:09:08PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I am the kernel-patch-2.4-grsecurity maintainer, and I have been
> flooded with grave and important bugs ever since kernel version
> 2.4.20, since grsecurity does not apply to these kernel versions
> anymore. It doesn't apply to the Debianised versions of these
> kernels anymore, it applies to the vanilla kernel just fine.

As the maintainer of kernel-patch-2.4-preempt, I also received a lot of
bugs report of the same type.

I see you are generating your kernel-patch with dh-kpatches. Yann Dirson
recently added (in version 0.99.27) the possibility to provide two
patches, one for the vanilla kernel, the other for the Debian kernel. The
field to use is Debian-patch-file (you could find more details in the
documentation).

I don't know if your patch is easily adaptable to the Debian kernel, but
it could be a solution. However it's only a technical solution, it
doesn't answer the question "why there is a lot of patches in the Debian
kernel?".

Cheers,
Aurelien