Re: Horrific new levels of changelog abuse

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 05:38:50PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > As far as the BTS is concerned, it is irrelevant how a bug is fixed.
>
> Wrong.  The BTS is a front-end to users.  When bugs are closed, the
> submitter(a normal user) is notified.  This notification *must* include a
> user-oriented response.  "This is fixed" is not such a response.

Speaking as a user, that's fine with me.  All I care about is that it
was fixed; as a user, I couldn't care less *how* it was fixed.  It's
irrelevant to me.

"Doesn't crash when --foo is used" is not any more useful to me--the
summary line of the bug is included with the acknowledgement mail, so
that's redundant to me most of the time.  (Of course, it may be more
useful to others, but it seems we're talking about the BTS side of
things here, not the changelog side.)

Also, "bug 12345 fixed" is not useless; it'd be convenient if I want
to find out in which version fixed a given bug.

(Not that that use necessarily makes it appropriate for a changelog.)

--
Glenn Maynard