Re: propose new virtual package: libxaw-dev

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 01:04:29PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > Of course, for regular depends, it shouldn't much matter.  For
> > build-dependencies, a real alternative should always be specified to get
> > a consistent build.
>
> Well if you want to get a consistent build, then you should drop the
> virtual package altogether.  The fact that it is there at all means that
> sooner or later there will be a build where the real package is not
> available and it will fall back to the random choice that you're trying to
> avoid.
>
> Either it's OK to pick randomly or it's not.  If it is then leave the
> virtual package as is, otherwise don't use it.  Putting a real package in
> front of it is just covering up the real problem.

I don't think the division is quite so clear.  It is often useful to specify
build-dependencies such that users can build the package on a different
Debian release, and yet it will consistently be autobuilt with different
dependencies for unstable.  I don't see build-dependencies vanishing as a
serious problem; the maintainer will surely notice that situation since they
must build the package.

--
 - mdz