Re: propose new virtual package: libxaw-dev

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> I don't think the division is quite so clear.  It is often useful to specify
> build-dependencies such that users can build the package on a different
> Debian release, and yet it will consistently be autobuilt with different
> dependencies for unstable.  I don't see build-dependencies vanishing as a
> serious problem; the maintainer will surely notice that situation since they
> must build the package.

Although this is a reasonable argument, I do not believe that it alone
justifies the presence of a virtual package in the build-dependencies.

If the virtual package is not necessary as far as the autobuilders are
concerned, and that it may be harmful to the autobuilders at some
future time when the real alternative disappears, then surely it is
better to only specify the real package.

Users building for stable can always use dpkg-buildpackage -d or even
modify debian/control.