Re: Horrific new levels of changelog abuse

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:58:06PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> It looks like you still don't understand my position.  As far as I'm
> concerned, all Debian changes *must* be documented in debian/changelog
> regardless of whether they happen to fix Debian bugs.

I think I do understand your position; I simply disagree.  I feel that
changes which close Debian bugs should be documented in debian/changelog
whether or not they are Debian-specific changes, because:

 - The bug submitter should receive a reasonable explanation for the bug's
   closure in the -done message

 - Other Debian packages may be affected by the bug, requiring versioned
   dependencies

 - The fact that the bug was reported to the Debian BTS means that the bug
   (and hence the fix) is relevant to Debian users and deveopers

> That's why the changelog that started this thread is totally unacceptable.
> If they were upstream changes, then they should have been marked as such
> (they were not).  If they were Debian changes, then they must be
> documented clearly.

The changelog that started this thread had several serious problems (hence
the "horrific new levels"), any one of which made it insufficient in my
view.

--
 - mdz