Re: Horrific new levels of changelog abuse

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:07:23PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> As far as the BTS is concerned, it is irrelevant how a bug is fixed.

That is your opinion.  Many of us disagree with you.

"Bug reports should be closed by sending email to nnn-done@bugs.debian.org.
The message body needs to contain an explanation of how the bug was fixed."

 - http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#closing

This is part of the record of the bug, and as a developer I constantly refer
to old bugs, and want this information.

> As long as it can be verified that the bug is fixed, then it can be
> closed.  Understanding how the code works does not come into it, unless
> the given fix can only be verified through code review.

Correct, understanding how the code works is not required.  If you know
enough to verify that the bug really was fixed by someone else, then you
have enough information to write a half-decent changelog entry.  "I tested
frobbing the widget, and it doesn't break anymore (Closes: ...)" is
infinitely better than "fixed bug (Closes: ...)".  The latter is worthless.

--
 - mdz