Re: Horrific new levels of changelog abuse

On Thursday 18 September 2003 13:31, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:01:02AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > I've talked to him about this, and he wants to do what Herbert Xu does.
> > I'm having a hard time convincing him otherwise.  Maybe others here could
> > help me.
>
> Well, I vote for terse changelog entries regarding fixed bugs, especially
> if a upstream version fixes the bug.

provided the package ships the upstream changelog *AND* that changelog
documents the change in a reasonable way.

Somewhat often the problem reported by a user is fixed by changing some other
section of code, a rewrite, etc.  As is often the case, Debian can make life
easier for the user by translating coder speak into reasonable information.
There have been many instances where a changelog entry says "fixed by the
upstream" and I could not for the life of me find out how in their changelog.