Conversion of character encoding

     I have some files that are advertised as being encoded in
utf-8. but they actually contain a few characters encoded in
ISO_8859-1.  Is there any tool that will convert the non-utf-8
characters to utf-8 automatically?

     The obvious choice is "iconv -f ISO_8859-1 -t utf8", but the
first byte of a two byte utf-8 character is a legal ISO_8859-1
character, so I think that would cause problems.

Regards,

Bob
--
   _