Re: dpkg-dev 1.10.11 incompatible changes.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:58:15AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
> > * Though shalt not use comments in debian/control, until ...
>
> * You can use comments now.

... but you may not. Current policy does not allow it.

> The only thing that reads debian/control are scripts during a
> dpkg-buildpackage run.  Those scripts then either create a .dsc, or
> debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control.  When creating these output files, the
> comments are removed, so no issues exist with any external tools.

It still breaks woody's dpkg-buildpackage.

[...]
> > I know that these things are already implicitely verboten, because
> > policy does not allow them, but if dpkg-* supports them and additional
> > warning is helpful.

> If we couldn't do something because policy didn't allow it, then nothing new
> would ever be added.

Eh, I did not ask for removal of features, but for documentation,
however I retract this because nobody else seems to share my opinon in
this respect. I do not think this mail requires any answer from your
side, I'd call it EOT.
              cu andreas