XFree86 4.3.0

Hello,

  I'm currently trying to get XFree86 4.3.0 to work on Debian stable.

  I did a search on "XFree86" on packages.debian.org -- it pointed
that the experimental distribution has XFree86 4.3.0-pre1v1 ... ; I
downloaded xserver-common, xserver-xfree86, xfree86-common, along
with libc6, libdb1-compat, and debconf from unstable to meet
dependencies (everything else seemed to work fine; I don't think
debconf ended up working due to a conflict with dialog, but I edited
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with an editor, so that hopefully shouldn't
matter).

  I open up "glxgears" ... it shows approximately 100fps, which is a
bit slow. According to glxinfo, "direct rendering: No". I realize
that the *.debs in experimental are not really supported. Can anyone
point me at some documentation though?

  A few other pieces of information that might be helpful: I'm using
kernel-source 2.4.18 with agp support compiled in -- do I need an
newer kernel also?

  On a separate note, I'm interested in eventually contributing to
the development of Debian, but probably won't in the near future
reach a "developer" level of contribution -- will the "Developer's
Reference" (on the development) page be worth reading? (I.e. help me
not ask stupid/trivial questions?)

  On another separate note, when I was downloading the various
packages by hand to meet the dependencies of XFree86 4.3.0, I was
wondering it there was any effort to "automate" the process,
something along the lines of the user chooses "I have a system based
on [stable/testing/unstable], I would like to download the following
*.debs (of newer version)" and then the system generates the
selection of all required *.deb to meet the previous dependencies,
puts it in a tgz, and the user can download it (seems rather
repetitive with apt already existing, but could be helpful for
upgrading packages on machines w/o net access (installed from CD
sets)) -- just an idea.

Thanks,
--TongKe Xue