Re: Done

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 11:26:44AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	You have a point here. However, I still like to think there is
>  a  valid distinction, if one thinks through the enlightened self
>  interest: one would like to foment a community where enhancements to
>  a package are welcome, even if the developer does not think it is
>  important; since then things important to me, but not to the
>  developer, would tend to get changed, improving my utility.  About
>  the best way to incubate such an attitude is to adopt it, since do as
>  I do gathers more momentum than do as I say.

This is a bit wordy. "Enlightened self-interest" can be effectively
summed up as "Make the world suck a bit less, because I've got to live
in it".

On the surface it's comparable to "altruism". When you get down to
specifics, it isn't; for example, "What do I do when a total moron
tries to talk to me?". ("Attempt to ensure he never tries again")

[Of course, you then have the challenge that the value functions of
different people tend to be radically unlike each other]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |