Re: Policy on bugs present on sarge/woody

Hi folks!

Am 2003-09-12  8:43 -0500 schrieb Steve Greenland:
> On 12-Sep-03, 04:25 (CDT), Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> wrote:
> > but
> > isn't - or shouldn't be - testing-proposed-updates for this?
>
> The proper spelling of "testing-proposed-updates" is "unstable".

;-) But I'm curious, which reasons prevent t-p-u to fulfill a similar
function like stable-p-u? Why shouldn't it be possible to fix RC bugs
in testing (especially in the light of the upcoming Sarge release) if
the unstable version is stuck? Look at packages like php4, where the
testing version is even older than in woody (security update).

> Yes, that can me delays in bug fixes in testing due to the way things
> are transferred. Such is life. You can:
>
> a) be patient.
> b) install the unstable version.
> c) 'apt-get source foo' and rebuild the package on your system.
>

> For the vast majority of packages, c) works just fine.

That's correct, but IMHO is not the most desirable solution.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt