Policy on bugs present on sarge/woody

Hi!

I am dealing with the following question:

 > You should really upgrade to the unstable version, which most probably
 > corrects your locale problem.

 In other words... It's meaningless to report bugs for packages in testing ?

(from http://bugs.debian.org/208789)

I have been thinking about it myself for quite some time now. No
doubt sylpheed's version in testing is overly old, and the newer
versions are much, much better and less buggy.

I really want them to go into testing, but that's not the case.

What really bugs me is: what should be done to this bugs? What
is the current policy on this matter?

We're very well taught on how to deal with bugs taking unstable
as target, but there's no documentation, as far as I can remember,
that explicitely serves as a reference for developers and users
behavior when dealing with testing/stable bugs.

What I think I've learned after these many months I've been
a Debian Developer and, especially, with the woody release
process and the problems I am facing with my packages now
is:

* always try to let your newer packages migrate into testing
as early as possible, you can wait some days before you upload
your hyper-cool new version, so you won't have your packages
with their Debian stable version sitting in testing waiting
for glibc.

Thought I'd share this thought =P

Thanks, []s!

--