Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:31:14AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> What I looked at was this line:
>
>     spam:non-spam (25512/29605) 86.17%
>
> ...which if read as presented says you received 25,515 spam messages,
> and 29,605 non-spam messages, or a total of 55,117 messages.

it reads "(25512 divided by 29605) 86.17%"

> If you meant something different, you should have written something
> different, such as "spam/total".

sorry, i wrote that script for me.  i know what it means.   i was more
interested in printing the figures on my screen than in thinking of the most
perfect unambiguous field names.

ok, i should have had "spam/non-spam" rather than "spam:non-spam".

> > > several thousand messages on the weight of originating IP block alone.
> >
> > yes.  that's because IT WORKS.
> >
> > i'm not interested in accepting mail from known open relays or open proxies
> > or from dynamic IP pools.
>
> In the latter case, you'll be excluding the personal mail I just sent you
> from my system, which happens to use a dynamic IP assignment for its
> mailserver.  Never issued spam.  Totally clean configuration.  But you're
> going to blackhole it.  Nice.

yes, very nice.  i don't want to accept mail from dynamic IP addresses.  almost
all of it is spam.  i'm more than willing to accept the fact that i'll
occasionally miss out(*) on a tiny amount of mail from *nix hobbyist users
because it means that i'll also miss out on thousands and thousands of spams.
for me, that trade is more than worthwhile.

(*) more correctly, it just makes it harder for them to contact me, not
impossible.

> > i'm also not interested in receiving mail from certain counties (china,
> > korea, brazil, and others).
>
> This doesn't deserve response.

of course not.  it's my mail system, my rules.  i don't know anyone in those
countries, so i don't need to accept email from them.  furthermore, there's a
shitload of spam coming from ip addresses in those countries that i don't want
to see.

if anyone from those countries (or with a dynamic IP address) really needs to
contact me, they can relay it through their ISP's server or send it from a
webmail account or send it to postmaster@taz and ask me to pass it on to
myself, or use one of dozens of other methods.

if i ever do need to correspond regularly with someone korea or brazil or
wherever, i'll either adjust my rules or add specific whitelist entries.  i
really don't see a problem.

craig