Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:04:39AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:57:54PM +1000, Matthew Palmer (mpalmer@debian.org) wrote:

[W3C's autoresponder]

> > This one's a bit different.  It's only asking for permission to archive
> > posts to the list - I guess W3C's just trying, as hard as possible, to avoid
> > any possible legal problems.
>
> It's still an instance in which the autoresponse would not have been
> triggered had any half-decent AV/AS system been used to filter out spam
> and viruses.  This was a response to the SoBig.F worm.

Sorry, I didn't make my position sufficiently clear.  This system is as
broken as every other Challenge-Response, in that it has the potential to
annoy the shit out of a lot of people very easily, and become a nice
anonymous harassing agent.

I was just making the point that it isn't the same as a regular C-R system,
in that the intent wasn't so much to say "I want to make sure you're not a
spammer" and more "I want to make sure you agree to your posts being
publically archived" - at the very least it's a little less offensive than
normal (it's not saying "You're a spammer - prove me wrong!").

> I'm coming to the view that we're approaching the era where all mail is
> going to have to be subject to filtering, at the MTA level.

Depends on how useful you want your e-mail box to be.  <g>

- Matt