Re: /etc/shells management

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:11:34 +0200, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> said:

> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote: [...]
>> The fact that a non-version-number string literal with shell
>> redirection operators in it was a valid value of "old-version",
>> "new-version", "most-recently-configured-version", and so forth,
>> did not occur to me.

>> I'd propose a Policy amendment dropping support for this
>> long-obsolete dpkg behavior, but I reckon I've lost my
>> Policy-amendment-proposing credentials in your eyes.

> I would support it.

	Why? Policy does not ask you to cater to ancient versions of
 dpkg; it merely mentions historical behaviour, and you can't
 retroactively go back and change dpkg implementations from way back
 when.

	manoj
 who can see no reason to go back and edit working postinst scripts
 just to remove compatibility with improbably old versions of dpkg
--
Knowledge, sir, should be free to all! Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate
4513.3