Re: apt-get internals help

On 06-Sep-03, 12:28 (CDT), George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> I do not think the variable is the real issue here. If we grab a snippet of
> the MPlayer's debian/rules:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer $(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)

That's a bug, as Matt noted.

> --prefix and --confdir are generic

Really? Not for this package:

~/packages/cron/debian$ grep prefix rules
~/packages/cron/debian$

Despite the attempts of the evil autotools people, autoconf is NOT
required to build portable software, and many enlightened developers
avoid it, along with the Satanic automake and the unspeakably foul
libtool.

(Actually, vixie-cron probably pre-dates autoconf, but my point is still
valid: --prefix is NOT generically used in debian/rules.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net