Re: apt-get internals help

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 08:28:58PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:

> I do not think the variable is the real issue here. If we grab a snippet of
> the MPlayer's debian/rules:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer $(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)

That's a bug.  What happens when DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip or
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=noopt, which are actually specified in the policy manual
as valid?  configure will try to interpret that as an architecture name, and
the build will fail.

> --prefix and --confdir are generic and they come with the generic unmodified
> rules file. The real issue here is that we need an separate (new or
> additional) media to store the so called USE options per source package,
> where the maintainer can store the optional flags he decided could be useful
> for that version of the source package - let's say debian/use. Then utilities
> like apt-build could be hacked to loop over this file first and to show us a
> nice a la "debconf with many faces interface" like:

Which is exactly what I recommended in my previous message.

> This are the alternatives to build this Debian source package:
> [   ]--with-apples (recommended and used by buildd)
> [   ]--with-raspberries
> [ x ]--with-apples --with-raspberries
>
> Then apt-build resets the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS per this session like:
> # DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="\
> --with-apples --with-raspberries \
> $ANY-OTHERS-COMMON-OPTIONS-IF-ANY" \
> fakeroot debian/rules binary

...just before I said that DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS was _not the right place for
it_, because it's already documented, with a completely different purpose
which is incompatible with your proposition.

--
 - mdz