Re: Pre-Depends according to sarge_rc_policy.txt

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 19:33, Colin Watson wrote:
> The pre-depended-on
> package doesn't have to be configured; it merely has to have been
> configured at some point in the past. Thus, pre-depended-on packages
> have to be prepared to be functional in the most common case of being
> unpacked but not configured (if we assume that packages are upgraded
> more often than they're installed, which seems rather likely to me).
> This is a requirement imposed by policy on pre-depended-on packages.

Policy doesn't say that it is a bug for a pre-depended-on package
to fail to function before being configured.  It could just as
easily be interpreted as saying that it is a bug for package preinst
and unpack to rely on packages that fail to function before they are
configured.

> AJ's requirement is fractionally stricter than policy's, but packages on
> which other packages pre-depend should be playing it safe anyway. I
> think that very much the same kind of care is needed to satisfy AJ's
> requirement and to satisfy policy.

Perhaps.  But there _is_ a difference between the two and it turns
out to be important in the case I am investigating.  I will follow
policy instead of the summary.

--
Thomas