Re: Pre-Depends according to sarge_rc_policy.txt

[quotation from sarge_rc_policy.txt:]
> >     Packages listed in "Pre-Depends:" must be (adequately) functional
> >     when unpacked but not installed.

[quotation from policy:]

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 14:06, Santiago Vila wrote in debian-devel:
> Does the word "adequately" not summarizes pretty much the "long version"
> in policy?

The sarge_rc_policy text doesn't summarize the policy text.  Policy
doesn't impose any special requirements on a pre-depended-on
package; policy imposes a requirement on dpkg, telling it that it
may only install the pre-depending package if the pre-depended-on
package has already been unpacked and configured.  (The point of
this requirement is to provide a mechanism whereby a package can
require another package to be configured before the first's preinst
and unpack happens.)  The sarge_rc_policy text does impose a special
requirement on a pre-depended-on package: it says that the
pre-depended-on package must be functional even when not configured.

AJT has written the following in explanation of the sarge_rc_policy
text:

> Apt (generally) guarantees pre-dep'ed packages are configured before
> unpacking, but dpkg doesn't. Consider (if you were around in those
> days) the Unpack/Configure/Configure/Configure/Configure cycles we
> used to go through with dpkg. But we don't require Debian users to
> use apt.

So it seems that the sarge_rc_policy requirement is additional to
policy and is intended to deal with a shortcoming in dpkg.  Please
correct me if I am wrong.

--
Thomas Hood