Re: GDM in sid does not read /etc/environment anymore

[Daniel Ruoso]
> I've actually sent him an email but got no answer. I've posted in
> debian-devel few days ago and nobody complained that GDM could source
> /etc/environment in the init script. That's an one-line patch (already
> tagged as patch in bts for more than a year)...

Remember that the file /etc/environment is not a shell script, it is a
data file for the pam_env module.  The format happen to look like a
shell script, but it is not.

See for example <URL:http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/1263> for a
description of the format.

If you want to pass the values on to forked program, this might be
enough:

  for i in `cat /etc/environment`; do export $i; done

It will probably not handle space in the content.