Re: binaries provided by multiple source packages

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:38:12 +0200 (CEST)
Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Glenn McGrath wrote:
>
> > The following is a list of packages whose names are inconsistent
> > with accepted behaviour (plz correct me if im wrong)
>
> Sorry for my ignorance but which is the accepted behaviour? i couldn't
> find anything in the policies and in devel-reference (just had a fast
> look trough them)

Section 3.1
Every package must have a name that's unique within the Debian archive.
The package name is included in the control field Package, ....

It is open to interpretation a little bit i guess, but as i see it

Every Package field in the Sources file must be unique to that file, and
every Package field in the Packages file must be unique to that file.

As it stands the apache-perl binary package (to pick on your case) could
be generated from two different source packages, only one binary will
ever be accepted as part of the binary release, if you try and insert a
second one the old binary will be thrown out.

Its hard for machines (autobuilders etc) to know which source the binary
really should be generated from.

Im not sure what should be done with regard to bootstapping apache.

Glenn